Wearing headsets and connecting to PS4 are mostly wired as the required headphones that you could use on PS4 should be PS4 compatible. This could cost you a minimum of about $60. Since Bluetooth like AirPods have become more popular, many have been asking how they could connect their AirPods to their PS4. Good news is this is possible, however, you will need to do some extra steps as we all know that PS4 does not accept third party headphones. However, through this article, we shall provide you a list of methods that you could use to route the audio to your PS4 in order for you to be able to use your AirPods or other Bluetooth headphones.
How to Connect Bluetooth Headphones to PS4
There are several ways to work around the restriction of PS4 of not accepting connection from third party headphones. There are four methods and the first method uses official PS4 app which are available for Android and iOS. The second method uses a computer as a tool to route audio from your TV to your AirPods. The third and fourth method would require you to have a Dongle to connect your wireless headphones to your PS4. For more detailed information, read further into this article.
The first method is the easiest way to connect your wireless headphones to your PS4. The PS4 Remote Play requires you to have your smartphone and PS4 on the same WiFi network. This app serves as a remote connection which will show you the display on your smartphone screen and your PS4 controls on your Android screen. For PS4 Remote Play to work, you would need the following:
A smartphone – either iPhone or Android, any would do
Take note that your device should be running on either iOS13 or Android 5.0 version. Here is a step by step guide on how to route audio of your iPhone and Android phone:
– Download Remote Play App
– Install the app
– Ensure that the features of Remote Play are activated on your PS4 system
– Go to Settings
– Select Remote Play Connection Settings
– Check enable remote play on your PS4 system
– Open the Remote Play app
– Register your device to PSN account
– Enter PSN credentials
– To register manually by entering a code:
o Go to settings
o Select Remote Play Connection Settings
o Select Add Device
o Select Code
o Enter the code in the Remote Play app
o Tap register
– Once your device has automatically connected to PS4, you will see the display and controls on your smartphone screen.
– Connect your AirPods and DS4 controller to your smartphone:
o Go to Bluetooth settings
o Establish a remote connection with Remote Play app
o Connect the DS4 controllers to your smartphone
o Enjoy your game!
This method is easy and is a pretty straightforward way and as long as you have a decent network speed, you will not have to worry about facing any problems. Take note that in this method, your controller is connected through your smartphone. This means, there is a possibility that you may not get any vibrational feedback.
If you do not have an iPhone with iOS13, you could check the other methods featured in this article.
2. Using a Samsung TV and SmartThings App
This method requires you to use a specific brand of smart TV and smartphone which is Samsung. Through your Samsung smartphone, you will be able to connect your AirPods and route through SmartThings app easily. Or if you have a different brand of Bluetooth headphones, you could pair them to your TV by following the steps below:
- Go to Settings
- Select Sound
- Select Sound Output
- Select Speaker List
- Go to Bluetooth device
- Pair and connect
To make this method work, you will need the following:
- Samsung Smart TV
- SmartThings App
- Samsung smartphone
Here are the steps to make this method work:
– Install SmartThings app on your Samsung smartphone.
– Log into your Samsung account, if you do not have a Samsung account yet, you could create one by clicking this link https://account.samsung.com/accounts/v1/MBR/terms?itnlYN=Y.
– Ensure that your TV and smartphone are connected to the same WiFi network.
– Open your app and add your TV by tapping the + button found on the top left part.
– Tap TV tile
– Go to options by selecting the options button found on the top right
– Select Play TV sound on Phone
– Audio will automatically route from your TV to your smartphone and you are ready to go!
3. Using a computer
In this method, you will need the following:
– Computer with 3.5 mm mic-in jack
– Aux Cable
To make this method work, you will need to follow the steps below:
– Connect your PS4 to your TV through HDMI
– Look for the port on the back of your TV
– Connect the other end to your PS4 HDMI port
– Connect Aux cable to 3.5mm port on the back of your TV and the other end to your computer.
Some computers have separate ports but the new models have a hybrid jack where you could use it as for both headphones or mic.
– Go to control panel on your computer
– Select Hardware and Sound
– Click Sound. This will open settings
– Go to recording tab
– Ensure that the Aux cable is connected to the mic out port on your computer
– Right click external mic option on the list
– Click on properties
– Click listen tab
– Check box of listen to this device
– Connect your AirPods to the computer
– Start and enjoy playing your game
This method is highly recommended as you do not need to purchase a dongle. Aside from that, it gives you flexibility. The only downside of this method, however, is that you will not be able to use this method if you need to use chatting features.
4. Use Bluetooth Transmitter to Route Audio from TV to PS4
If you have dongle at hand, or if you wish to purchase one at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Enjoyment/dp/B07MMSWY5B/ref=as_li_ss_tl?crid=V7BQ54F7V9VB&keywords=bluetooth+transmitter&qid=1558599625&s=gateway&sprefix=bluetooth+Transmitter,aps,443&sr=8-3&linkCode=sl1&tag=techwiser05-20&linkId=289ff5eca23c4a154fc8181c7fc35235&language=en_US , you could try this method. To make this method work, you will need the following:
– Wireless Bluetooth headphones or AirPods – Bluetooth Transmitter with Aux support
Steps in doing this method:
– Connect your TV and PS4 through an HDMI cable
– Connect your Dongle to your TV through your 3.5mm Aux Cable
– Put your Dongle in pairing mode
– Put your Headphones in pairing mode
– Dongle and AirPods will automatically connect to each other
– Enjoy and start listening to the audio from your PS4 through your AirPods.
5. Use Bluetooth Dongle to Connect AirPods with PS4
This is another easy method to connect your AirPods to your PS4. However, it could also cost you a bit as you will need a Bluetooth dongle which you will find on Amazon. This Bluetooth Dongle is a Bluetooth transmitter. You will need the following to make this method work:
– Wireless headphones
– Bluetooth dongle which is compatible with PS4.
Steps in making this method work:
– Connect your TV and PS4 with HDMI cable
– Connect your Dongle to your TV using USB port of your PS4
– Put your Dongle into pairing mode
– Put your AirPods into pairing mode
– This will connect your Dongle and AirPods automatically.
Bluetooth devices are Plug n Play. Hence, you could just plug your Bluetooth to your PS4. You could could check your device if it is connected by going to Settings> Devices> Audio Devices> Input and output> Avantree USB Headset.
Once your devices are connected, you could now start playing your games and listen to the audio on your AirPods.
This concludes our guide on how to connect your AirPods to your PS4. We hope you have found this article useful.