Voice Control allows you to make phone and FaceTime calls, as well as to control music playback simply by speaking into the phone’s microphone. While it is a practical option that offers many advantages, there are some cases in which Voice Control can become a nuisance. Since the feature is activated by pressing and holding down the Home button, it may accidentally start dialing your contacts when your phone is in your pocket or your handbag. Although technically it is not possible to disable Voice Control, there is something that you can do to prevent it from activating when it is not necessary. .
Toggle off Siri and Voice Dial
If you are using Siri, Voice Control won’t be activated. The two features can’t be used at the same time so Voice Control will not work if Siri is enabled. What you can do is to replace Voice Control with Siri and then you can follow the below steps to prevent Siri from making accidental phone calls.
- Go to Settings from the Home Screen and tap “Siri” and toggle it on. If you are using iOS 9 or an earlier version, you will need to go to Settings, then open “General”, followed by Siri. Then you can toggle it on. By doing this, Voice control will be turned off. Now what you need to do is to enable passcode to make sure that Siri is locked and can only be accessed when you type this passcode, which will prevent accidental calls.
- To set up a passcode, go back and select “Touch ID & Passcode”. If you own an older version of iPhone that doesn’t support Touch ID, this option will be simply called “Passcode”.
- Tap “Turn Passcode On” and enter a passcode. Make sure that it is easy for you to remember. It will be needed to turn on the device, update it, erase it, enable the lock screen and more.
- In Settings, select “Touch ID & Passcode” and enter the passcode that you created. Tap “Voice Dial” and toggle this option off. Keep in mind that this will only disable Voice Dialling. Music Voice Control is always on.
- The next step is to toggle Siri off. In Settings, select Touch ID & Passcode and in the “Allow Access When Locked” section, tap Siri and turn it off.
- In the “Require Password” section, select “Immediately” to make sure that your phone asks for a passcode when the screen is off. Since entering a passcode will be required in order to use Siri, there will be no accidental phone calls to worry about.