Potato chips are hard to resist but even those who love them are concerned about the health effects that they can cause. The good news is that there is a way to enjoy your favorite snacks without feeling guilty. Instead of using a deep fryer, you can use an air fryer, which only requires a little or no oil at all. The rapid hot air circulation allows you to prepare delicious foods without added fat.
Generally, an air fryer has one or more internal heating elements. It is comprised by a removable pan that holds a detachable cooking basket where the food us placed while it is air fried. The pan is also designed to collect drippings and the air fryer also features a mechanism to set the cooking temperature and timer. The basket and the pan can be detached from the fryer’s body for easy cleaning. They can be washed by hand or in a dishwasher. While air fryers don’t need oil, in order to get optimal results, it is advisable to sprinkle a small amount of oil (less than a spoonful) on the foods that you want to fry.
Benefits of using an air fryer:
- Air fryers are ideal for making chips but these versatile units can also be used for other purposes. The fact that they have multiple temperature settings and programmable cooking times means that they are also good for roasting, grilling and baking.
- Traditional deep fried chips have more than 15% fat. Since an air fryer only requires a small amount of oil, you can enjoy fries that have less than 3% fat. This is a significant difference that will allow you to enjoy potato chips in a healthier way.
- You can try using different types of oils, including olive, rapeseed or walnut oil. Remember that only a small amount of oil is needed so you can even cook with expensive oils to add variety to your recipes.
- Another advantage of the fact that little oil is needed also means that an air fryer generates less cooking odor than traditional deep fryers.
- The basket and the pan are removable so you can wash them in the dishwasher without issues.
Air fryers are also safer to use than regular deep fryers because there is no boiling oil and most of them feature handles that remain cool to the touch so you can handle them safely,
What is the best air fryer?
GoWise USA, Philips and Avalon Bay have created some of the most popular air fryers available in the market. In order to help you choose the right option for your needs, we will compare four top selling options: GoWise USA GW2261, Philips HD9220, Philips HD9230 and Avalon Bay AirFryer100. Each of them has been recognized by Amazon customers for their quality and enjoy a high rating.
GoWise USA GW2261, Philips HD9220, Philips HD9230 and Avalon Bay AirFryer100 Comparison
The first thing to note about the design of this group of air fryers is that only the GoWise USA and the Philips HD9230 feature digital programmable LCD screens. The GoWise USA air fryer comes with a stainless steel removable basket, while the Avalon Bay air fryer and the Philips air fryer have non-stick baskets that can be removed. The below table shows a comparison between these four air fryers, followed by more details about the notes included.
1. The Philips HD9220 is available in Black and White and the two versions offer the same features. The same goes for the Philips HD9230 and the Avalon Bay AB-Airfryer100. The GoWise USA GW2261 is available in Black.
2. The four air fryer models in the list include a detachable pan that holds the basket in which the food is cooked. You only need to press a button to remove the basket from the pan. Having a detachable basket allows you to transfer food from the fryer to a dish easily. The cooking baskets featured in the Avalon Bay air fryer and the two Philips units are non-stick coated. On the other hand, the GoWise USA air fryer has a stainless steel cooking basket that doesn’t have a non-stick coating.
3. Philips’ air fryers offer 1.8 lb capacity. Since the air fryers’basket dimensions are approximately 7″x7″x3″, their capacity is roughly 2.5 quarts.
4. All the air fryers in the list come with dials or digital controls that allow toy to adjust the settings and the temperature.
GoWise USA GW2261 has digital controls with electronic screen that let you set the temperature from 176F to 392F.
Philips HD9230 works with digital controls with an electronic screen. You can set the temperature from 180F to 390F.
Philips HD9220 works with a dial and you can set the temperature from 180F to 390F.
Avalon Bay AB-Airfryer100 comes with a dial that lets you set the temperature from 176F to 392F.
5. All these four air fryers come with a timer that can be set using either a dial or digital controls.
The digital controls with an electronic screen of the GoWise USA GW2261 allow you to set the time for up to 30 minutes.
Philips HD9220 features a dial that lets you set the time for up to 30 minutes, while the HD9230 gas digital controls with an electronic screen and it is the only timer that can be set for up to 60 minutes.
The dial in the Avalon Bay AB-Airfryer100 allows you to set the time for up to 30 times.
6. One feature shared across all the air fryers in the list is that they shut off once the time set on the timer has passed.
7. The GoWise USA GW2261 and the Philips HD9230 have digital controls with an LCD screen. In contrast, the Philips HD9220 and Avalon Bay use dials for temperature and timer control.
8. In the GoWise USA GW2261 you can fund 8 preset buttons specifically designed for Chicken, Steak, Shrimp, Fish, Meat, Chips, Cake and Warm-Up.
9. Philips air fryers stand out for being the only ones that offer additional accessories. These include baking dish, grill pan and a double-layer rack to extend the cooking surface. The latter is available with the Philips HD9230 air fryer.
10. Keep in mind that in all cases, the main body of the air fryer, which contains the heating mechanism can’t be washed. The only parts that can are dishwasher-safe are the removable pan and the detachable basket.
11. Amazon offers great deals but since the prices are subject to changes, the best option would be to check the site directly for the latest offers.
Choosing the best air fryer
You can rely on any of the air fryers listed here because they provide excellent performance. All the units have received high rating in Amazon and most customer reviews praise the high quality that they offer. This means that regardless of the option you opt for, you will enjoy an outstanding product that will allow you to enjoy a healthier way of cooking. To help you decide which of the four air fryers suits you best, we will go through some aspects that should be considered.
If you prefer digital controls with LCD screens for setting the timer and the cooking temperature, you will need to go for the GoWise USA or the Philips HD9230.
The Philips HD9230 stands out for being the only air fryer that has a 60 minute timer. The rest of the models in the list offer 30 minute timers. If you are looking for an air fryer that allows you to prepare recipes that need extended cooking time, the Philips HD9230 would be the best option.
The Philips air fryers is the only air fryer that offers optional accessories such as a baking pan, a double layer rack and a grill pan. The Philips HD9230 includes the double layer rack and the other options can be yours when you select any of the two Philips air fryers mentioned in this article.
Philips and Avalon Bay air fryers feature high quality non-stick coated cooking baskets. The coating is long lasting and won’t come off when used within the suitable temperature range. However, many people would prefer a stainless steel option and if that is what you are looking for, you should go for the GoWise USA, which is the only one that offers this.
GoWise USA is also the only option that comes with preset buttons specifically designed for Chips, Chicken, Steak, Meat, Cake, Shrimp and Fish. This allows you to get the best cooking results for each case as the right temperature and timer options would be selected. One last thing to consider is that the Avalon Bay is the only option that gas a carry handle.